Expensive manuka honey may have lost its healing powers before customers even get it home, a scientist has warned.
The honey, known as ‘liquid gold’ because it costs up to £100 per jar, is sought after for antibacterial properties that come from its naturally-occurring bug-fighting chemical.
But this chemical can be destroyed by prolonged exposure to heat – such as during shipping or even sitting in shop windows – according to Professor Merilyn Manley-Harris. The honey chemist, of Waikato University, New Zealand, warned some manuka honey sold in the UK may be wrongly labelled as stronger than it really is because it has been damaged by heat.


Expensive manuka honey may have lost its healing powers before customers even get it home


Professor Manley-Harris said that people should buy manuka honey (pictured above) which has been stored in a cool place
Popular with celebrities, manuka honey is made from the nectar of the native New Zealand manuka bush. The honey contains the chemical methylglyoxal (MGO) which has antibacterial properties. Jars carry a label detailing the honey’s strength – or how much of this chemical it contains.
But research suggests around half of honey sold as ‘manuka’ may not be genuine, and some contains less MGO than stated on the label. Manuka honey is tested for strength before it leaves New Zealand, but Professor Manley-Harris said: ‘It’s a minimum of four to six weeks to ship, the containers are not refrigerated and the inside of a hull can get quite hot. Once it’s in the UK, the way honey is handled in the shop could also affect it.’
The damage is caused because heat speeds up the rate at which MGO naturally diminishes. She added: ‘If you’re buying honey that has been shipped, buy one which has also been tested when it arrives.
‘Don’t buy the jar sitting in the window. Get one that’s been sitting in the cool.’
https://textbacklinkexchanges.com/category/the-sun-world/
https://textbacklinkexchanges.com/manuka-honey-could-have-lost-its-healing-powers-before-you-get-it-home-scientist-warns/
News Pictures Manuka honey could have lost its healing powers before you get it home, scientist warns
You don’t have to pack away your bikini just because you’re the wrong side of 20. These body-beautiful stars reveal their secrets to staying in shape and prove you can smoulder in a two-piece, whatever your age. Read on and be bikini inspired!
TEENS
Hayden Panettiere
Size: 8
Age: 18
Height: 5ft 1in
Weight: 8st
To achieve her kick-ass figure, Hayden – who plays cheerleader Claire Bennet in Heroes – follows the ‘quartering’ rule. She eats only a quarter of the food on her plate, then waits 20 minutes before deciding whether she needs to eat again.
Hayden says: “I don’t have a model’s body, but I’m not one of those crazy girls who thinks that they’re fat. I’m OK with what I have.”
Nicollette says: “I don’t like diets – I see it, I eat it! I believe in eating healthily with lots of protein, vegetables and carbs to give you energy.”
kim cattrall
Size: 10-12
Age: 52
Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 9st 4lb
SATC star Kim swears by gym sessions with Russian kettle bells (traditional cast-iron weights) and the South Beach Diet to give her the body she wants. To avoid overeating, Kim has a radical diet trick – squirting lemon juice on her leftovers – so she won’t carry on picking.
Kim says: “I am no super-thin Hollywood actress. I am built for men who like women to look like women.”
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/02/00/8032076-6545813-image-a-47_1546389877748.jpg


Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий